The Department of Microbiology at UT Knoxville is dedicated to providing the quality education, through both teaching and research, necessary to meet the needs of this growing field. Our faculty members aggressively pursue research in many areas of the science: immunology; virology; microbial ecology and pathology; microbial genetics; and others. Research projects are continuously conducted through collaboration with and support from various prominent sources, such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the United States Department of Energy (DOE), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Science Foundation (NSF), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and NASA, among others.
Undergraduate students gain valuable experience in the lab by working under one of the professors; faculty also work extensively with post-graduate level students, often publishing numerous articles on their collaborative experimentation and study. Focus may be on such notable areas as herpes virus or coronavirus research, on studying the impact of viruses on marine and freshwater food webs, or on sequencing genes in pathogenic fungi.
Microbiology 2019 Award's Day Ceremony (04/29/19)
- Microbiology Research Excellence Award
- William F. Hutson Graduate Award for Outstanding Research Achievement
- Summer Research Stipends - Undergraduate Research Award
- Jeff and Nancy Becker Undergraduate Reseach Scholarships
- David White Memorial Travel Award
- Lisa A. Kahn Memorial Award
- D. Frank Holtman Undergraduate Academic Achievement Award
- Data as Art Award
- Dr. Krishna and Santha Reddy Fund Scholarship
- Department Service Award “the Rachelle”
- Extraordinary Customer Service Award (Winner Ben McFall)
- Undergraduate Faculty Teaching Award