Skip to content

Current Student Frequently Asked Questions

How do I declare my major as microbiology?

    Microbiology is not a major, it's a concentration within the Biological Sciences (which is what our students receive their degree in). A student must first declare a major of Biological Sciences.  If you haven't already, you may want to check with the Advising Office regarding the specific series of events.

How can I get involved in Undergraduate Research?

    Undergraduate Research is an excellent way to enhance a student's college experience. Students learn problem solving skills, time management, how to work in a group setting, and what scientists really "do." Plus, working in a laboratory helps students understand the concepts they learn in class at a much deeper level. If you are interested in research, examine the research descriptions of the faculty in the department. Read their research papers and see if their projects interest you. If you find an area of research that interests you, contact the faculty member directly and ask about opportunities in his or her lab.

    Another great place to start is through the Office of Undergraduate Research.

How do I enroll in Microbiology 401 or 402?

    Upper-division microbiology courses such as these are research-oriented classes. To enroll in such a class requires the permission of a microbiology department faculty member.  Speak with the professor you wish to study with for the semester and obtain his or her permission to work in the lab.  Obtain this permission via email and forward the email to the Microbiology Departmental office ( with a request to be added to the course. Please provide your Student ID number, Course CRN and Course Number. Be sure to cc your future research mentor on this email.

I need to file a petition.  What do I do?

    Download the relevant petition from the Arts and Sciences Advising Office webpage. Complete the PDF online and send to your academic advisor for review. If they support the petition, they will submit to the departmental approver for review and subsequent submission to the College Office.

How do I schedule an appointment with my departmental advisor?

    Students should meet with their advisor each semester, and they are required to do it once a year. Which semester a student is required to meet his/her advisor is dependent upon the final number of the student's ID numbers, even numbers need to be advised in the Fall, those with odd numbers are advised in the Spring. Once you have been assigned an advisor in our department, you should contact him or her to schedule an appointment. Faculty contact information is located within in the Faculty Pages of our site and/or you may call the office (974-3441) and ask to speak with the professor to which you are assigned.

I have questions about my special circumstances that my advisor couldn't answer.  How can I resolve the situation?

    Email the director for undergraduate studies, Chunlei Su to arrange a meeting for discussing your microbiology academic issues

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.