The Department of Microbiology is currently accepting applications for the David C. White Memorial Travel Award. The award will cover most of the costs associated with registration, transportation, lodging, and food for the annual national meeting of the American Society of Microbiology (to be held June 1-June 5, 2017 in New Orleans, Louisiana) for eligible graduate and/or undergraduate students. Applications are also encouraged for travel to other professional meetings concentrating on microbiological research. These applications will be supported depending on availability of funds. Recipients shall be chosen in accordance with University policy and are open to all eligible applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, or veteran status, subject to the following restrictions:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- Applicants are required to apply to the College and the Graduate School for travel support by the application deadline for travel dates in Summer, Fall and Spring per the Graduate Student Senate guidelines.
First preference shall always go to applicants pursuing a degree in Microbiology; however, recipients could be from other science-based academic programs.
A standing requirement of accepting the award will be a presentation to the Microbiology faculty and students of the "lessons learned" by the recipient within one month of returning from the annual meeting.
To apply for this award, applicants should submit the following documentation designated David C. White Memorial Travel Award to the Microbiology Office, M409 Walters Life Sciences Building, or to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Personally written letter requesting the award, which outlines the reasons for the request
- The title of their proposal presentation and abstract
- Supporting Letter of Recommendation from a faculty mentor
- Graduate student Travel Award Application